Six Strikes Internet Piracy Warning System to Launch in 2012
U.S. Internet service providers are moving forward with a controversial “six strikes” anti-piracy program, and will launch the plan by the end of the year, ArsTechnica reported on Wednesday.
The program, known as the Copyright Alert System, came together last year, when the newly formed Center for Copyright Information (CCI) partnered with major U.S. Internet service providers and members of the recording and film industries to create a six-point warning and penalty system that would be imposed on alleged copyright infringers.
The plan, which could cover as many as three-quarters of all U.S. Internet users, was officially announced in July 2011 with a targeted launch date of December 2011. The rollout was later pushed back to July 2012 and is now set for the end of the year, said CCI Executive Director Jill Lesser.
Ms. Lesser offered few new details about the program, saying only that the CCI and its partners are still targeting a 2012 launch date. The ISPs involved in the program are also keeping relatively mum about the rollout.
“We are still very much intending to launch this year, but in no way was missing a July deadline a missed deadline,” Lesser told ArsTechnica.
“This isn’t the American version of the French system, and it isn’t a baseball game,” she said, referring to France’s three-strikes antipiracy scheme known as HADOPI.